Basic/Mini Essay - Compare & Contrast
This page updated: 1/15/2020
You will use a second method of compare and contrast to pick a topic of your choice.
You will use your depth of knowledge at the NEED TO KNOW (minimum level) to TEACH others about two items/topics which you will compare and contrast. You will use categories to present the items, and within these categories, you will show us the relationships between the topics.
Your audience will be peers who have slightly less knowledge than you about the topic(s). You will teach the audience something they likely didn't know.
Your Essential Question:
You will use your own depth of knowledge about your topic to create a good essential question, which you will answer in your writing.
Your Clarifying Questions:
These questions are vital, as they will help you determine the eventual categories you will use to show relationship between your items in your Venn. TAKE TIME to create many of these.
1. Use your Post-It Note Parking Lot and get feedback from friends, family, and parents on topics you are very knowledgeable about.
2. As you start brainstorming your chosen topic in detail, continue adding clarifying questions that will help you explain the relationships between your items. BE READY to add these clarifying questions to your graphic organizer/brainstorm.
3. Create a Venn Diagram. Each item gets its own circle.
Click here for the Venn Diagram Maker link.
4. Use the 5W's & H method to complete your Venn Diagram. Consider the 5W's & H as it relates to your topics.
What (show, don't tell)
5. Submit a shareable link or upload your PDF Venn Diagram below. Use the "text reply" to share; the "upload a file" to upload. If you need to, send via email.
6. BE SURE to share with Mrs. G. your growning list of CQs. By now you should have 7-10.