This page updated: 01/14/2021
Compare & Contrast
Brainstorm: New Venn Diagram!
In this assignment, you will use your own thoughts and experiences to brainstorm the following EQ
How would you compare & contrast two different activities (hobbies) you enjoy?
Your instructor will give you your audience and your purpose below.
Your audience is your classmates who may know a little about your chosen activities/hobbies, and may have actually tried them, though not as thoroughly as you.
Your purpose is to describe in detail the things that make these activities similar and different as you've participated in them over time.
Your Topic Sentence:
Feel free to use this thesis statement or create your own:
“_____ and _____ are activities I enjoy, and over the years I've discovered some surprising/unusual/interesting comparisons and contrasts between them."
This compare & contrast Point-by-Point paragraph will be organized by categories. These categories will help you organize items for A & B. The video below will explain not only the new Venn diagram, but how to use categories as well.
1. Make a copy of this document. Watch the first video below. It explains how the new Venn diagram document was made, so you can make edits to it as you see fit. Can you make your Venn by hand? Certainly! Just be ready to take a snapshot of it to upload to your instructor.
2. When you finish learning about our new Venn diagram, continue on.
AFTER you save the new Venn diagram, you will have edit rights to change what you want.
BE AWARE, however, that, in order for you to type on the Venn, the table must be at the FRONT layer of the doc. Need help? Please ask!
3. Identify two different activities or hobbies you enjoy doing. If you need to, make a list and ask for help to narrow it down to two.
4. As you fill out your Venn Diagram, ask yourself these 5W's & H CQ's to help you add detail to your Venn diagram:
How advanced are your skills in each activity?
How long does it take to be good at each activity? Would you consider yourself "good" at each activity?
What is the purpose/goal/outcome of each activity?
Who introduced you to these two activities and why?
What specialized learning or basic skills are needed when you first started participating in these activities?
Who participates with you in these activities, or do you do them alone?
When do you do these activities? Does the season, time, or location dictate when you do them?
Where do you do these activities? Does this location make it easier/harder to participate?
How are these activities alike and different?
5. Group the items you've listed in your Venn according to categories. Consider categories like:
New to the Activity
How to participate in the Activity
Why you do the activity
What you need to do to prepare for the activity
You may create your own categories, or use the class list of categories if you and your instructor made one.
6. Submit a shareable link to your Venn diagram below. Be ready to share your Venn with your instructor.