This page updated: 5/4/2020
Persuasive Writing & Reasons - Best is Last!
Revise & Edit
You will use MI Write to complete the revise & edit stages of the writing process.
What contest did you choose?
Do you have GREAT examples for each category that SHOWS your nominee is the BEST fit for the award?
Do you have an introduction that covers the requirements item in the contest document?
Is your statement of claim strong and convincing?
You will use your depth of knowledge at the NEED TO KNOW or NICE TO KNOW levels to persuade the contest committee that your nominee (or nominees) fit the categories and qualities spelled out in the contest document.
Your audience is a committee of people who review all the letters of recommendation that come in for nominees. This committee gets many letters, so your letter (and nominee) must stand out above all the rest.
1. Log into MI Write
Your user name will be your WTS login (firstnamelastinitialwts)
Your password will be your last name (lastname)
if your last name is less than 5 letters long, add "wts" to the end of it
2. Choose your class.
3. Find the writing sample you wish to work on in the list.
4. Click on the link (the date is the link to the writing sample)
5. Read through your work.
1. As you go in to do your revisions, it might help to separate sentences apart with a double-space so its easy to find the text line that needs correction. This step is optional.
2. READ EACH comment carefully. "S" comments are spelling suggestions. "G" comments are grammar comments. Gray highlights are sentences that have grammar and sentence structure issues.
3. What to do first?
There may be a lot of spelling issues, so feel free to do those first. That will make the overall draft less distracting.
Now improve your sentence variety.
4. If you haven't done this already, make a copy of the following check list to use as you go through your work. Fix sentence parts and create a variety of sentence types in the scaffold. The more effort you put into this step, the easier (and faster) your rough draft will come together. Check off items as you go along.
5. Continue revising and editing until there are no errors identified by MI Write. You will hit "submit" to see updated revisions.
6. It is at this point you will gain further development of ideas, organization and style feedback from your instructor or feedback person.