This page updated: 04/29/2020
Cause & Effect (Essay #1)
Draft: MI Write
You will use MI Write to turn your writing scaffold into a rough draft. This is also where you will complete the revise & edit stages of the writing process.
Be sure you have a clear picture of your DOK, your purpose, and your audience. Don't remember, go back to the DOK, Purpose, Audience lesson and review.
1. BE SURE your body section, your intro section, and your conclusion section have been completed. They don't have to be perfect, but you want sufficient information there so you have something to build on. Remember, the more time you spend on the writing scaffold the easier creating a rough draft will be, and the faster you will generate a final piece of writing.
Be sure you've submitted a copy of your fishbone and you writing scaffold to Mrs. G.
3. Log into MI Write
Your user name will be your WTS login (firstnamelastinitialwts)
Your password will be your last name (lastname)
if your last name is less than 5 letters long, add "wts" to the end of it
4. Choose your class.
5. Go to "practice" to find your writing prompt.
6. Choose "begin writing."
7. Turn off the timer.
8. Copy and paste column #2 of your writing scaffold into the text box.
9. Use the following check list as you go through the pasted text. Fix sentence parts and create a variety of sentence types in the text. The more effort you put into this step, the easier (and faster) your rough draft will come together. Check off items as you go along.
10. Erase the scaffold framework so you have only your words in paragraph form.
11. "Submit" your writing even though you still need to revise and edit. By submitting, Mrs. G. can see your work and offer suggestions. Always "submit" rather than "save and quit"; Mrs. G. can not see your writing if you "save and quit."
12. Your goal is to get 2.75 or higher in your first 3 drafts. Your final goal will be to earn 3.75 or higher on your final draft for at least 3 categories.